FHS Foster Families are Our Heart and Soul
By placing a dog, cat, puppy, kitten, or other animal into a foster home, we’re able to expand our capacity to save even more lives. We make fostering fun, easy, and rewarding.
Think you don’t have room to foster an animal in need? If you have a heated garage or basement, spare bedroom, or bathroom, you can give shelter to an animal in need of temporary housing. Can’t afford another pet? No problem! All expenses are covered. Afraid you’ll get attached? While it’s true that some of our foster parents end up adopting, most folks are able to let their foster animal go with the bittersweet joy of knowing they have saved a life, and that another animal needs their help next!
- Zero medical expenses for you
- Food provided as needed
- Additional supplies available (crate, leash and harness, playpens/kitty condos for young animals, etc)
- Help a pet who is too stressed at the shelter
- Help a pet recover from a medical procedure
- Experience the joy of birth and babyhood when fostering a pregnant mom through her delivery, or a mother with her young pups or kittens.
- The typical need for foster care is two weeks. Just two weeks! This gives us time to bring the animal up to date on vaccinations and make space for him/her at the Adoption Center. This short amount of time in your life will often mean the difference between life and death for an animal in need.
- Weekend (for animals who need a short break from the Adoption Center) and longer options are available. Short term respite/holiday for foster families also needed.
- Hospice homes (for animals with a terminal illness but good quality of life) are always needed.
- Many animals are cared for in our amazing foster home network. Be that most vital link for a pet while it goes from homeless uncertainty to a loving, forever home! Email our Foster Coordinator at email@example.com to learn more or call 828-863-4444.
Can I Foster?
Please ensure you meet these requirements to be able to foster for FHS:
✓ I live within 1 hour of Polk County, NC (If you live outside of this area, you may still be able to foster for FHS or we can direct you to another group who needs your help!)
✓ I am able and willing to transport pet to veterinary appointments and adoption days as needed
✓ I own my home, or my landlord allows pets (we must call landlords to confirm)
✓ Everyone in my home is in agreement about fostering
✓ If anyone in my home has allergies, the foster animal can be kept separate
✓ I am able to totally separate my foster pet from my own pet(s), especially for a short quarantine period and/or feeding (crate can be provided!)
✓ Another person is available to transport the animal in case of emergency if I am unavailable
We’re grateful that you are interested in being a lifesaving foster parent! If you meet the above requirements, please complete the form below and we will get back to you within 48 hours!